Special Instructions for a Nuclear Plant Emergency
Watch or Listen to the Emergency Alert System (EAS) on your local TV or Radio Stations for emergency instructions.
If Advised to TAKE SHELTER
- Keep family and pets indoors.
- Close all windows, doors and fireplace dampers.
- Turn off devices that draw outside air.
If Advised to EVACUATE
- Lock up house, office, etc. Close all windows, doors and fireplace dampers or other devices that draw outside air.
- Secure pets indoors with food and water. If pets are allowed to evacuate with the general public, they must be secured in a carrier or otherwise restrained for safety. See “Pet Emergency kit” under “What to Bring”.
- Follow EAS instructions
- Transportation will be provided from the docks to the Windham High School Reception Center.
- Potassium Iodide (KI) will be provided by local Emergency Management Officials. KI will also be available at Windham High School.
What to Bring
- Cash/Credit Cards/Checkbook
- Toiletries/Baby Supplies
- Pet Emergency Kit: leash, carrier, restraint, medical/veterinary records, ID tags attached to your pet, food, water, litter and litter box, toys and a current photo of you and your pet.