Fire Hydrant Flushing
The Fishers Island Water Works Corporation periodically “flushes” fire hydrants for important preventative maintenance to insure the integrity of the water system and deliver the highest quality water to our customers.
Hydrant flushing serves the following purposes:
- Flushes sediments from mainline pipes, which enhances water quality.
- Verifies the proper operation of fire hydrants and valves.
- Aids in determining weaknesses in the water system.
- Helps to identify closed valves and weak flows in the water main.
- Verifies ample water flow for fire fighting.
As a result of hydrant flushing, residents in the immediate vicinity may experience temporary discoloration of their water. This discoloration is harmless, and generally consists of precipitates which do not affect the safety of water consumption. If you notice that your water is discolored, you can clear this issue by running all water faucets inside your home for approximately 15 minutes, or until the water clears. If water does not clear, please contact the Water Company.
*Note: it is important you do not wash laundry while water is cloudy or discolored. Please wait until water is clear before laundering.